Fantasy, Dystopian, Young Adult
“This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.
The Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of god-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from the poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change.
That is, until she finds herself working in the Silver Palace. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy the balance of power.
Fearful of Mare’s potential, the Silvers hide her in plain view, declaring her a long-lost Silver princess, now engaged to a Silver prince. Despite knowing that one misstep would mean her death, Mare works silently to help the Red Guard, a militant resistance group, and bring down the Silver regime.
But this is a world of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance – Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart.” – Goodreads.
Okay, first off I can’t believe I actually got my hands on this book! I love the cover and the endpages. Though it does sound like a mixture of the Hunger Games and the Divergent series and it imost definitely falls under that category, it’s very unique at the same time. Mare seems a bit immature at first but she is 18 so it’s justifiable, and her character develops vastly throughout the book. Everyone else seem to be hiding something up their sleeves and no matter how many times they help each other, I’m constantly afraid of a betrayal of some sort or another. It’s very well written, and while it did take me a bit long to finish it I don’t think the delay was because of the book. If I count the days I actually sat down to read it, it took me a total of less than two days. The last part was amazing, and did not disappoint. I love to see some action from the main characters!
Rating: ★★★☆☆ | 3.5 out of 5 stars
It was 3.5 at first but it very quickly changed to a 4 around the middle of the book.
So, I usually make notes when I’m reading a book I plan to review and this one was one hell of a roller coaster, so I decided to let copy it from my draft and show you all what was going through my mind.
- Mare Barrow, the MC, is a “Red” (regular, poor people who are oppressed by the “Silvers”) and the only thing she’s apparently good at is being a pickpocket.
- She has three brothers, Tammy, Bree and Shade, and Gisa, her sister.
- Her friend is Kilorn, a fisherman’s son. (Imagining him as Gale in THG)
- Already sensing a love triangle -.-
- Seriously THG feels
- She’s a downright criminal and I’m really starting to like her
- The Silvers have special abilities that vary among families. They fight themselves during First Fridays to show off that power.
- Umm okay loads of stuff happened and she’s taken away to work for the Silvers
- Okay, she can control electricity and she’s a Red.
- Now she’s bethroted to Maven instead of Cal.
- I like Maven, why doesn’t she like Maven?
- Cal’s sweet but I think I found my otp for the book, thanks
- OH MY GOD SHADE IS DEAD?!
- I bet he’ll come back as a plot twist tbh.
- I bet Kilorn is in the Scarlet Guard, that’s why he’s over reacting!
- Alright she’s joining the SG now. I guess Shade’s death is a catalyst.
- Also, I don’t like any members of the SG yet so I don’t like the whole group.
- I THOUGHT WALSH WOULD BE A FRIEND!
- Well, technically she is a friend but god dammit I don’t like the SG
- Okay Kilorn just has a lot of anger towards the Silvers, that’s why he over reacted. Now he’s joining the SG.
- Oh wow, I’m halfway through the book.
- HOLY MOTHER OF PLOT-TWISTS, MAVEN?!
- Okay, I’ll cut the SG some slack now.
- HOW DARE YOU FALL FOR CAL?! I HOPE HE BETRAYS YOU!
- Huh, very Divergent-ish
- HOE DON’T DO IT
- YOU FUCKING DID IT, I CAN’T
- Of course it’s a love square. Hoe, you don’t need no man.
- MAVEN NOOOOOOO YOU SOB
- I’m done with this book.
- I hate everyone, literally everyone.
- Wow that ending was on point.
- I FUCKING KNEW IT, WHAT DID I TELL YOU?
- Can’t believe she put a plot twist in the epilogue
- HE CAN TELEPORT WTH FUCKING BEATS ELECTRIC GIRL
- Okay, now I’m literally done with the book. What do I do?